Wednesday, February 25, 2015

How am I supposed to feel, Mr. Cosby?

I fear that society is growing angrier by each passing day and as the years go by, more and more of them are coming out of the woodwork to create a media circus. It's fueling itself by eating its own tail while growing a new one simultaneously. Because of this, I have been avoiding the articles about Bill Cosby.  So there are over 20 women calling him a rapist. Who'd of thought a man such as he  would have so many skeletons in his closet?

And the media circus that has ensued! The media is consistantly jumping on the bandwagon and interviewing people that don't really have a relevant opinion and the women that do have cause to be angry have not banded together and filed a class-action against him. So is he really that untouchable and famous enough to get away with it or is there just not enough to validate what is being said by his accusers?

I think that these are questions that should be answered. Mr. Cosby. Why are you keeping silent? Do you honestly think that avoiding this and hiding behind attorneys is going to keep you from losing any face? Because, frankly, I think that you have already lost your credibility. Besides, I only dwell on the things that affect me directly--personally. Does it really influence the course of my life through my decisions that you may or may not be a rapist? It might. .  . . . does a butterfly that beats its wings in the Congo cause a multitude of events leading up to a tornado taking out a trailer park in Kansas?

For those of you that don't understand that last paragraph, I'll sum it up for you: Cause and effect. Layer upon layer. Event upon event. Person to person through the media to my ear into my brain thereby affecting my emotional and logical assimilation of the Cosby Conspiracy (among many others.)

There are no statutes of limitation on rape.

CNN and other networks had, for a moment, taken the focus off of him in the nightly news because of pressing matters on terrorism, only to return to this story as of this morning with yet another accuser coming forward, and the woman that started the discussion claiming that she has been vindicated of any wrong doing and no everyone is believing her story. 30 years is a very long time. 30 years is more than enough time for people to have had changed their feelings and their minds about many things and if they have made something of themselves and become a positive force in life with those around them, then even something like this can be forgiven. I'm not saying this to be a patron-flag-waver of forgiveness. We all have our personal demons. Some of us just choose to live with our pain and try to make it work as a positive force. Depending on our daily struggles, we can lose to them once in a while, but build back up from it.

I have a difficult time believing these women's claims that he is a pervert--personally. I'll admit that his public persona has a lot to do with it, and the difficulty of accepting a huge disappointment from a man that I have had a high regard for because of where he came from and the body of his life's work in the public eye. Even his brash disregard for political correctness and his embrace of common sense approach to issues of racism and our country's government have me scratching my head about all this. It just doesn't compute for me.

I think this is one of the big reasons why everyone is struggling with this story as it unfolds. Here's a man that is well respected among his peers, contemporaries and younger generations who's pedestal has fractured and the foundation on which he has stood for decades is shaking violently. Yet, he stand stoically with a resolve that seems unwavering. He does this in the face of angry critics and a media that wants to sell ad space and airtime and make millions on his misery--that would be the American way. We tend to capitalize on misery and society makes billions of dollars on the combined misery of the few that have either fallen on hard times, and those who caused others to do likewise, and televise it for everyone to watch at their dinner tables or with a bag of microwaved popcorn in the evening. It's how our angry society relaxes--reveling in misery. It's pretty sick.

Irresponsible journalism. It's better known as yellow journalism. I'm not buying everything that I read or see in the news when it comes to celebrity life-drama. I believe there is much more beneath the surface. However, that being said, I do believe that he is guilty of something. Silence or omission of facts true or false is worse than lying. It leads to conspiracy that breeds more lies and distorts perception of reality in the face of the public opinion and when the media of the current era jumps on it and disseminates it indiscriminately, they are perpetuating it and just as bad as the liar that started it.

It's not really that complicated. It's about money.

Someone has to profit from all of this. All publicity is good. I think it has mostly to do with priorities. Priorities and money. Influence means nothing. Look at Brian Williams and the "War Story" scandal. It doesn't take more than one story to blow up a journalists career and so that can also be said for anyone that is in the public eye as a celebrity. Even royalty is not immune to sex and lies--two things that people are most interested in and make excellent scandal for the water-cooler discussions at the office. When life is boring, point a finger! And it certainly doesn't stop there, does it?

Society is just really angry. All the time. And it isn't exclusive to we Americans. It's EVERYWHERE.

People need to find faith and believe in something greater than themselves.

Mr. Cosby, if you wanted to be a good man your whole life, you would come out in the open and give us the truth in all its glory and put this to rest. You would do it as a public service. If you are in the wrong, just say so. I think that you would gain more respect in the bigger picture than by avoiding prosecution. When I say prosecution, I'm not saying in the courts of law, but more in the courts of public opinion.

The best healing is done when people are honest about what they feel, understand, think, and are willing to accept. If people keep this crap bottled up, it festers. How many philosophers is it going to take for the whole of humanity to finally get it? How many thousands of years is it going to take for humankind to have a spiritual awakening and let go of the greed that poisons our souls collectively?

Yes, Mr. Cosby. Your sex scandal will be your legacy. You should of thought about it before you allowed your self-control to fail and screw up your life and other's lives as well--if that is the truth. If you want to quench the public's anger, come out with it and get it over with. Face your accusers.

And angry society be damned. Who are we to judge until we know all the unbiased facts?

We only need fight the battles that are just. And when we do, we need to fight to win them. (ISIS)

And Priorities. . .   .We need to prioritize what is important. Keep the Cosby story out of the front page spotlight and only report the specifics--if it goes to trial. Otherwise I just don't want to know.

This is why sailing off the grid is appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment