Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Arguments on Facebook (Social media)

I want to clear something up with everyone here on Facebook. One thing i really have an issue with is people that want to create drama out of things they see written in social media, taking it to a whole new and personal level to the point of allowing themselves to be hurt by it. If you are really convinced that you are right about something, then don't engage people in a debate about it in an effort to change somebody's mind.

if you are going to argue about a point that has scientific backing and studies that have not been debunked, by all means, feel free to chime in and speak your mind. My opinion is my own based on what I've read in the course of study and experience. It doesn't mean that I am infallible or that I think that I'm better than others or have some kind of special accreditation like a degree (which I don't).

I really don't know why anyone that is a friend on mine that knows me outside of Facebook, in real life, would ever think I'm an asshole about anything, knowing that I'm actually one of the biggest teddy bears they will probably ever meet. I can't tell you how upsetting it is to me that persons that i thought were friends are so pissed off and angry over this vaccine debate. I only voiced my opinion, getting drawn into debates with people about the issue of MMR's pros and cons.

The truth be told, I reserve the right to keep my real opinions about things private because if some people knew how I really feel about this topic, and many others that are politically charged or racially profiled. I would probably not have many friends left on Facebook. My personal issues that I will not go into here are part of who I am and why I think the way I do. If it offends you, I'm sorry that you are and I hope that we can agree not to speak of it ever again. Social networking drama is such a low thing for me to have to worry about in light of the the real-life issues I've got going on that you have read about.

This little status update is not meant to be mean-spirited but rather to offer an apology for those who were offended by my previous vaccination posts. I have an impassioned voice like those who beat the anti-VAX drum. I am PRO-VACCINE! I have many friends that are on my side of the fence, but I also have many other friends that have a polar opposite view.

I have listened to both arguments very closely over the past two or three weeks that I've been seeing the story on network news and social media and I have yet to find anyone that can really shake my resolve on my opinion on this matter. So what I'm going to do, as a part of by-gone-be-by-gone is that I'm going through my Facebook contacts and un-following EVERYONE except for family and close personal friends.

I'm tired of hearing about everyone's drama on my Facebook feeds. It kills my phone battery with the constant buzzing of everyone posting their current positions and every life event, commentary about society (enlightened or not), and stuff that really has no interest or value to me. I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON FACEBOOK. I find that I am on this site more than any other. That is not normal for me. I think that I need to limit my exposure. Unsubscribing from everyone's feeds is something I should have done a long time ago.

One of the challenges I've recognized is that I have a tendency to write with brutally blunt baseball bat-to-the-head force (something that does more damage than good from time to time). I have been learning to curb some of the brutality and finesse my writing style a bit. I am a stubborn bull in the china closet and not afraid to be politically incorrect, but I don't want to piss of my good friends by misleading them or being drawn into arguments on or off my (or other's) timelines.

Social media has blessing, but it also has a few pretty black curses. Those curses are enough to destroy people's relationships and the commentary doesn't even hold any real social value most of the time. To write a mature and enlightened manner of speaking is an art that I know I need to perfect. Just ask my mom about the letters I've had to write in an official capacity in regard to SV Triton​'s beaching. . . . .

So, one last time, i apologize to EVERYONE if I pissed you off. Just ignore me or un-follow my feeds if I have said something to offend you. Let us never speak of it again! Truce? Some friendships are worth much more to me than to lose friends over feeds that shouldn't affect our relationships with each other. Wouldn't you agree that's a fair and mature/adult assessment?

No comments:

Post a Comment